As one of the largest law firms in Atlanta, Drew Eckl & Farnham has both an extraordinary opportunity and a special responsibility to maintain a culture that nurtures diverse interests, backgrounds, and perspectives – inclusive of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, and physical ability.
Our commitment to promoting and encouraging diversity is illustrated by policies, initiatives, and programs established across offices, including efforts in recruiting, training and retention. Our firm-supported affinity groups include those who self-identify as or are allied with African American lawyers, Hispanic lawyers, Asian lawyers, LGBTQ+ lawyers, Women lawyers and working parents. Not only is diversity extremely important to the firm but also to the clients we are selected by and have sustained long term relationships with over the past 30 years.
1L Diversity Fellowship Program Details
At Drew Eckl & Farnham, we understand that we have both an extraordinary opportunity and a special responsibility to maintain a culture that nurtures a diverse and inclusive workforce. The Drew Eckl & Farnham 1L Diversity Fellowship is one of many diversity programs we utilize to promote diversity here at our firm and in the legal profession at large.
Midsize Mansfield Rule Certification
We are excited to announce that Drew Eckl & Farnham is one of the trailblazing firms partnering with Diversity Lab to pilot the inaugural Midsize Mansfield Rule. Mansfield Rule certification measures whether law firms have affirmatively considered women, attorneys of color, LGBTQ+ attorneys, and attorneys with disabilities as at least 30 percent of the candidate pool for recruitment, governance roles, equity partner promotions, and inclusion in formal pitches to clients.
2020 Diversity Committee
By The Numbers
The Diversity Committee tracks gender and race for purposes of benchmarking them against national metrics issued by the National Association for LegalPlacement (NALP). As of July 2020, DEF continues to meet or exceed most of the national numbers for diverse attorneys as published in 2019 by NALP.*
The Diversity Committe is responsible for leading initiatives that will increase awareness and improve the overall diversity of the firm. In 2020, the committee focused on:
Partnering with Diverse Organizations
In addition to our involvement in the organizations mentioned in the organizations section of this brochure, we also serve as:
- Corporate partner in the Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce;
- General Counsel for the Georgia Minority Supplier Diversity Council; and Member of the prestigious certification committee for the Georgia Minority Supplier Diversity Council.
Emphasizing Inclusion by Supporting the Promotion of Diverse Attorneys in Leadership Positions
- Senior associates introduced to leadership positions by creating a “future leader” co-chair position in internal committees.
- “Path to Partnership” Leadership Training Program with admission criteria intentionally designed to be inclusive.
- Participant in the Southeast Minority Job Fair
- Partnered with various diverse bar organizations to announce attorney job openings to boost diverse candidates in interviews
- Increased Diversity in Summer Associate Program
- Member of the prestigious certification committee for the Georgia Minority Supplier Diversity Council.
- Expanded active recruiting to include law schools with a more diverse population, including an HBCU in 2020.
Awards & Recognition
Richard H. Krochock
Douglas Burrell received the DRI Richard H. Krochock award which honors an individual who has provided exemplary leadership to the DRI Young Lawyers Committee, and who has promoted those qualities which enhances the public image of the Civil Defense Trial Lawyers. He is also the DRI Secretary-Treasurer.
Vault/MCCA Law Firm Diversity Survey
Our firm has participated in the Vault’s 2019 & 2020 Law Firm Diversity Survey which provides statistics and other crucial information on diversity. We can benchmark valuable diversity programs and present a comprehensive picture of our diversity commitment.
GDLA President’s Award
Partner Karen Karabinos was honored with the President’s Award for creating and chairing the GDLA Women Litigators Section at the 52nd GDLA Annual Meeting.
Organizations & Associations
Our attorneys actively participate in and attend events for organizations and associations that support the promotion of diversity and inclusion.
Defense Research Institute (DRI)
Throughout our history with DRI, our attorneys have served as chair of the DRI Diversity Steering Committee, chair of the DRI Diversity for Success Seminar and Corporate Expo, members of the DRI Women in the Law Committee and co-authored the eBook “Women Rainmakers: Roadmap to Success.”
Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (GHCC)
The firm has made great strides to partner more formally with the organization to both educate and counsel its members on a number of legal topics. We are currently co-hosting a monthly breakfast series focused on legal topics hand-picked by members of the chamber, as well as speaking at the chamber’s annual leadership conference and business expo. We continue to sponsor the annual gala, provide legal advice on a pro-bono basis during the GHCC’s fall Community Fair, and speak at the GHCC Women’s Business Speaker Series.
Georgia Minority Supplier Diversity Council (GMSDC)
One of our partners serves as the General Counsel, executive committee, and board member for the organization which has provided the firm an opportunity to partner with the GMSDC. One of our associates serves on the prestigious certification committee that certifies minority business enterprises.
- International Association Defense Counsel Diversity Committee
- Georgia State Bar Diversity Committee
- Atlanta Association of Insurance Professionals/National African-American Insurance Association
- Georgia Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Gate City Bar Association
- Georgia Alliance of African American Attorneys
- National Association of Women In Construction – Atlanta Chapter organization
- Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys