As one of the largest litigation defense firms in the Southeast, Drew Eckl & Farnham has both an extraordinary opportunity and a special responsibility to maintain a culture that nurtures diverse interests, backgrounds, and perspectives - inclusive of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, and physical ability.
Our commitment to promoting and encouraging diversity is illustrated by policies, initiatives, and programs established across offices, including efforts in recruiting, training and retention. Our firm-supported affinity groups include those who self-identify as or are allied with African American lawyers, Hispanic lawyers, Asian lawyers, LGBT lawyers, Women lawyers and working parents. Not only is diversity extremely important to the firm but also to the clients we are selected by and have sustained long term relationships with over the past 30 years.
2018 Diversity Committee
Drew Eckl & Farnham formed, and has continuously had, an active Diversity Committee since 2006. Our Diversity Committee consists of 12 attorneys and 2 functional directors - Marketing and HR/Recruiting. The committee meets on a monthly basis and spearheads the firm’s overall diversity efforts which exceed over 1,800 hours, both internal and external, over any given year.
By the Numbers
The Diversity Committee tracks gender and race for purposes of benchmarking them against national metrics issued by the National Association for Legal Placement (NALP). Drew Eckl & Farnham continues to exceed the national numbers for diverse
attorneys as published in 2017 by NALP.*
*Statistics are based off of Drew Eckl & Farnham attorney headcounts as of December 31, 2017.
- Association for Women Lawyers committee meets on a bi-monthly basis and is comprised of all women attorneys at the firm. Meetings range from discussing hot topics relevant to working women, bringing in guest speakers for women's health and work-life balance, plan client events focused on and supporting local and national charities and women's organizations, including Dress for Success and Bulldogs Battling Breast Cancer.
- Diversity mentorship program in place to assist associates and lateral attorneys coming into the firm.
- Instituted a formal part-time policy for women attorneys, which includes their ability to remain on the partnership track.
- Diversity training for all attorneys and staff as part of an elaborate onboarding process.
- Work to bring in outside experts in the community to speak on diverse issues during our Diversity Committee sessions.
- Recruitment initiatives include: participation at the Southeastern Minority Job Fair and the Atlanta Bar Association Minority & Diversity Clerkship program. The firm also has members of the hiring and recruitment group on the Diversity Committee.
Awards & Recognition
CEO Award for Excellence in Business Programming: We are honored to be the recipient of the Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce CEO Award for Excellence in Business Programming. We were recognized at the 28th Annual Awards Gala on Saturday, June 4th, 2016 for our dedication to providing the GHCC members and Hispanic business community with outstanding, best in class legal business programming. Our partnership with the GHCC has given us the opportunity to provide risk management and litigation support to one of the largest Hispanic chambers in the United States.
Vault/MCCA Law Firm Diversity Survey: Our firm has participated in the Vault's 2017 Law Firm Diversity Survey which provides statistics and other crucial information on diversity. We can benchmark valuable diversity programs and present a comprehensive picture of our diversity commitment.
Organizations & Associations
Our attorneys actively participate in and attend events for organizations and associations that support the promotion of diversity and inclusion.
- Defense Research Institute (DRI): Throughout our history with DRI, our attorneys have served as chair of the DRI Diversity Steering Committee, chair of the DRI Diversity for Success Seminar and Corporate Expo, members of the DRI Women in the Law Committee and co-authored the eBook "Women Rainmakers: Roadmap to Success."
- Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (GHCC): The firm has made great strides to partner more formally with the organization to both educate and counsel its members on a number of legal topics. We are currently co-hosting a monthly breakfast series focused on legal topics hand-picked by members of the chamber, as well as speaking at the chamber's annual leadership conference and business expo. We continue to sponsor the annual gala, provide legal advice on a pro-bono basis during the GHCC's fall Community Fair, and speak at the GHCC Women’s Business Speaker Series.
- Georgia Minority Supplier Diversity Council (GMSDC): One of our partners serves as the General Counsel, executive committee, and board member for the organization which has provided the firm an opportunity to partner with the GMSDC. One of our associates serves on the prestigious certification committee that certifies minority business enterprises.
- Member of the International Association Defense Counsel Diversity Committee
- Member of the Georgia State Bar Diversity Committee
- Atlanta Association of Insurance Professionals/National African-American Insurance Association
- The National Bar Association Annual Convention
- The Georgia State Board of Diversity Business Development Symposium
- The Georgia Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- The Gate City Bar Association
- The Georgia Alliance of African American Attorneys
- Leadership Institute for Women of Color Attorneys Annual Conference.
- Members of the National Association of Women In Construction - Atlanta Chapter organization
- Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys