Back to the top ten violations. At number 6 is the Ladder regulation in construction. Ladders (construction) (29 CFR 1926.1053) accounted for 2,345 violations.
Here are some, but not all ladder basics and here is a link to the full standard.
- Check your ladders for defects. Ladders should be checked by a competent person periodically for defects. If you see a defect, take the ladder out of service. Also, make sure you mark the ladder to let others know it should not be used.
- Always use your ladder properly. Always face the ladder when ascending and descending.
- Do not use the top of the ladder of the top step of a step ladder as a step.
- Make sure the ladder is on a stable and level surface or is secured.
- Do not move ladders while someone is on them.
- Ladder safety requires constant vigilance. Stay Safe.