Cyber Insurance and Data Privacy
In today’s technology-driven world, the need for data privacy and cyber security are a concern for all businesses and individuals. At Drew Eckl & Farnham, we maintain a team of attorneys who focus their practice on Cyber Insurance and Data Privacy and Security Compliance. As part of our leading 35 year attorney insurance coverage practice, our cyber insurance team can handle claims and coverage disputes in this highly technical and specialized practice. Additionally, we also work together with our clients to develop and improve data privacy practices and incident response plans for Cyber Insurance, Cyber Privacy and Data Security Exposures.
On the cyber insurance side, our Cyber Team represents insurers at all stages – from claim analysis and monitoring to coverage litigation or alternative dispute resolution. We advise and represent insurers or their insureds regarding exposures with:
- Defining and analyzing coverage under first-party cyber policies for privacy counsel, forensic investigations, notification costs, credit monitoring, etc.
- Data security-related claims associated with investigations by federal and state regulatory authorities.
- Claims by banks, financial institutions, and other companies or individuals involving large-scale data security breaches involving sensitive health or financial information.
- Claims involving network outages made by third parties against insureds.
- Business interruption claims under cyber policies.
- Ransomware and extortion claims.
- Business email compromise or email schemes and wire fraud under commercial crime insurance policies.
- Claims involving data security and other coverage lines, including general liability, E&O, and D&O policies.
- Exposures of individuals, including directors and officers and attorneys, investment advisors, and other professionals.
Data Privacy and Security Compliance
On the Data Privacy and Security Compliance side, our DEFCorp Team provides cutting edge assistance to develop and improve client data privacy practices and incident response plans. The goal is twofold: to implement legal measures to minimize the risk of a data breach, and to put our clients in the best position to respond if a breach occurs. In this practice, we:
- Assess risks in connection with ongoing operations, acquisitions, and new service offerings and technology platforms.
- Assess and advise on specific regulatory and contractual data privacy security obligations applicable to a client’s business.
- Coordinate communications with company employees, officers, directors, regulators, customers and stake holders.
- Advise on cyber-insurance coverage insurance and exposure.
- Design internal data security structures, policies and practices.
- Integrate response measures to contain breaches, investigate incidents, provide notifications, and communicate with law enforcement and regulators.
- Assist in managing internal investigations.
- Assess and advise on litigation readiness practices.
- Preserve data correctly after a cyber-attack for response to breach-related government subpoenas, investigations and related litigation.
- Deliver required reports to regulators.
- Identify and coordinate with security consultants.
- Summary Judgment for Slip & Fall Claim Affirmed in Georgia Court of Appeals
- Summary Judgment for International Retailer in Premises Liability Case
- Georgia Court of Appeals Affirms Summary Judgment in Double-Fatality Case
- Reale and Cheek Obtain Summary Judgment for Defendants in Wrongful Death...
- Motion for Default Judgment Denied in Northern District of GA
- In the news: Barbara Marschalk recently successfully defended her client...
- Plaintiff Sues for $1.5 Million, Rejects $300,000 Offer, Left with $12,591
- Summary Judgment in Breach of Contract Claim
- Summary Judgment in Bodily Injury Claim
- Motion to Dismiss Granted for Not-for-Profit Client
Related Publications & Presentations
*No Guarantee of Results: Many of the practice summaries and individual attorney biographies on this website describe results obtained in matters handled for Drew Eckl & Farnham clients. These descriptions are meant only to provide information about the activities and experience of our attorneys. They are not intended as a guarantee that the same or similar results can be obtained in every matter undertaken by our attorneys; and you should not assume that a similar result can be obtained in a legal matter of interest to you. The outcome of a particular matter can depend on a variety of factors.