October 02, 2019 BY Neil Brunetz
OSHA Top Ten Violations: Number Two
Coming in at number 2 on the OSHA top Ten Citation list is Hazard communication (29 CFR 1910.1200) with 3,671 violations.
Hazard Communication has a variety of areas that can lend themselves to citations. Some of the key aspects of the Hazard Communication Standard are:
- A Written Hazard Communication Program is developed, implemented and maintained and employees are trained on the program
- Chemicals are properly classified
- Chemicals are properly labeled
- Chemical labels are not removed or defaced
- Information concerning the hazards is transmitted to employees. (GHS Labeling Standards)
- Creation and maintenance of Safety Data Sheets and access by employees to Safety Data Sheets
HazCom, as it is commonly known, is an involved and lengthy standard which results in a high number of citations. In addition, the consequences of a violation can be severe. There is a reason it is the second highest cited standard.
When is the last time you reviewed, revised and trained on HazCom.
Mr. Brunetz has experience working as an outside general counsel for a technology company assisting the company in negotiating and finalizing NDAs, SaaS agreements and technology development agreements as well as many other aspects of the company’s business. His legal experience also includes courtroom representation of clients in civil litigation matters, including personal injury, wrongful death, workers' compensation, construction, contract, commercial disputes, and malpractice actions.